Thursday, September 6, 2012

Foundation Part 1 (drugstore)

So ive been on a lookout for a foundation that will work with my picky skin. I have dry, sensitive skin, with some redness on my cheeks. I also have cool undertones. I didnt use to have acne prone skin until the last couple years (my skin seems more sensitive now). The foundation ive been using for the past month my skin is totally rejecting it. I've never had a break out like this before ever. I broke out on cheeks, forehead, a cyst pimple on my chin, and even pimple on my nose. It makes me want to cry. I've been embarassed lately posting my face pics for my eye looks. Ive used quite a few different drugstore foundations in the past year, tried some samples from higher end foundations i got at the mall, and one i overheard a ulta worker suggesting to another customer.  This first post of 2 will be about the drugstore items I purchased.

My most recent purchase has been Maybelline Dream Mousse. I remember using this when it first came out, and now remember why I never bought it again.
Name: Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse
Description :  *Air-whipped liquid provides perfecting coverage for 100% poreless skin
*Ideal for normal skin
*Oil-free, fragrance-free,  Dermatologist-tested, allergy-tested, non-comedogenic – won’t clog pores, safe for sensitive skin
Shade Bought: Porcelain Ivory
Size: 1 oz.
Price:  $7.94 - $8.99
Where to Buy: Walmart, Target, Ulta, Walgreens, CVS
Makeup Alley Listing: Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse
My Thoughts:
Seems to have medium coverage when first applied but soon after everything it hid, reappears even with concealer. I find that it also leaves my face looking greasy and makes my skin more pink. Its definitely not long lasting through working. I work in the stock room at Ross and after even 4 hours of working, my foundation looks like it does when i go out dancing all night. I look like a hot mess when I come home. This product has also broke me out since i first started using it. My 2 pimples on my lower cheek have been there for almost a month and not gone down in size. My cyst pimple that i have had for 2 weeks finally stopped hurting and just now starting to go down. I also find this hard to remove. When i pump some on the back of my hand and wash the rest away with soap, residue is still left. I use a makeup removing cloth and then a sensitive skin facial cleanser to remove. 
Would I Repurchase: Never

Name: Rimmel London Lasting Finish 25 Hour
Description: Why 25 hours? Because you want your makeup to last as long as you do. Face it. Your day is stressful. Early mornings, late nights. And we all want our makeup to look fresh and feel comfortable all day long. Rimmel London introduces Lasting Finish 25 Hour Foundation, our first foundation that is sweat, heat, humidity and transfer-proof for up to a full 25 hours. The revolutionary formula, complete with a revitalizing mineral complex and moisturising aqua primer, helps to reenergise overworked skin. Feels hydrating all day. No sign of make up fatigue for up to a full 25 hours. It's time to demand more!
Shade Bought: Ivory 100
Size: 1 oz
Price: $5 - $7
Where to Buy: Walgreens, Walmart, CVS, Ulta, Target
My Thoughts:
This is a very good product for dry skin types. Its very moisturizing and never flakes. Its a tiny bit to orange for me. I think you get the best application applying with your fingers vs a brush. It has good coverage but i use the Hard Candy Glamouflage concealer with it. It blends in really good too. The longest ive worn it was 12 hours, and it lasted with just a little fading. The only reason i stopped using was my face started breaking out into a little patches of millia. When i stopped using it they subsided. I dont recommend using this product if you have oily skin.  Another plus is that you won't break the bank purchasing this, even to try it out. I first tried it out for around $3 when walgreens had a sale on all their rimmel products earlier this year. 
Would I Repurchase: Yes

Name: Revlon Colorstay Normal to Dry
Description: Want makeup that is flawless and weightless for 24 perfect hours? Revlon has the solution - ColorStay™ Makeup.
Specially formulated for normal or dry skin, this oil-free, moisture-balanced formula gives you flawless looking skin.

Makeup looks fresh and feels great for up to 24 hours thanks to the lightweight, comfortable feel from the ColorStay™ Formula.

Medium to full coverage, with SPF 15 protection*
Shade Bought: Ivory
Size: 1 oz
Price: $9-$13
Where to Buy: Walmart, Ulta, Target, Walgreens, CVS
Makeup Alley Listing: Revlon Colorstay Makeup
My Thoughts:
This always has rave reviews but i didnt like this foundation at all. I've purchased this item twice. Once years ago and then earlier this year. Its a good color match(though times it was a little to white) and has good coverage but it totally caked on my skin. It also made my skin flake a lot. I tried applying with fingers, brush, and sponge. I think this foundation would be good for more normal skin types not dry. It escentuates dry patches. If you have very dry skin i would stay clear of this. It started to break me out a little towards the end of using this product.
Would I Repurchase: No

Name: Neutrogena Healthy Skin Liquid Makeup
Description: Neutrogena Healthy Skin® liquid makeup takes over where your skin care leaves off. Silky-light coverage glides on for a perfectly natural look, while the exclusive blend plus SPF 20 work together to visibly improve skin's luminosity, tone, and texture.
*Flawless coverage, lightweight, silky formula
*Exclusive blend of antioxidants and SPF 20
*Maintains skin's young and healthy look
Shade Bought: Natural Ivory (they were out of classic)
Size: 1 oz
Price: $12 - $14
Where to Buy: Walmart, Walgreens, Target, Ulta, CVS
My Thoughts:
This made my face look really greasy.. You would of thought I had oily skin instead of dry. Color was a little to orange. It also stung my skin and made it red at times. The coverage seemed good when first applied but then started to escentuate any flaw in my skin. I went through this product quickly trying to get a buildable coverage. It also made me breakout. I think this product is also overpriced.  When pouring some product out you have to be careful since it has a thinner consisitency and can easily run out of the top of the bottle. I wish i could say i like this product, since i like dewy finishes, but i didnt like this. Oily skin types stay far away!!! I also used this during the winter months last year.
Would I Repurchase: probably not, though I might retry sometime in the future. Since ive read reviews where people had different experiences using this product when repurchased. 

Name: Maybelline Fit Me Foundation
Description: FLAWLESS LETS THE REAL YOU COME THROUGH
BEYOND MATCHING: FRESH, BREATHING, NATURAL SKIN
SPF 18
Shade Bought: 110 and 115
Size: 1 oz
Price: $5-$7
Makeup Alley Listing: Maybelline Fit Me Foundation
My Thoughts:
I found 110 to be too white and hard to apply. 115 was a little too dark. I mixed a little bit of each together and got a good color match for my skin. I loved this foundation. I found it covered my redness and had good lasting power. I applied this foundation in the way INSIDEOUTBLACK suggested in  her video review of this foundation (i tried looking it up but says the video is now private). She applied using a stippling method with a stipple brush. The reason i stopped using is because it would stick to my skin and was hard to remove and because of that it made me start to breakout. i had to wash my hands a few times to get the residue off. I used the elf studio professional brush to apply and then i would pat the brush lines away with my fingers. This is for normal/dry skin types. It gives  a dewy finish, so oily skin types should avoid this foundation. This also has a bottle that pours out and the top gets messy really easily.  I found myself washing off the bottle every morning. I wish the bottle had a pump. :( I overall love this product and think its definitely reasonably priced. 
Would I repurchase: Yes

I hope I did ok doing a review of these. The ones i didnt like might work for you, I just can only state how these work for my skin type. I also tried out the Revlon Photoready foundation but forgot how the product worked for me and I cant find the bottle to retry it out. I just know i didnt use it very long. When I did use it i mixed it with another foundation.

I posted links to makeup alley that is a good site to go look up reviews for beauty products. your able to change the search settings on products to get reviews from people that have a similar skin type/shade and even age. 

Disclaimer: All these products were bought by me and i'm not getting compensated or anything for these reviews. These are all my honest opinions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment